The Tricare Reserve Select (TRS) program is a premium based insurance plan that is available worldwide. It is available for qualified members of the Selected Reserve and their families. TRS is considered minimum essential coverage under the Affordable Care Act.
Who is Eligible
Members of the Selected Reserve (or their families) who meet the following qualifications:
- Not on active duty orders
- Not covered under the Transitional Assistance Management Program
- Not eligible for or enrolled in the Federal Employees Health Benefits (FEHB) program or currently covered under FEHB, either under their own eligibility or through a family member.
Note: Those members in the Individual Ready Reserve including Navy Reserve Voluntary Training Units do not qualify to purchase Tricare Reserve Select.
What You Pay
You are responsible for paying:
- a monthly premium
- a co-pay or cost share for certain medical services
- an annual deductible
You can schedule an appointment with any Tricare authorized provider but like all insurance, if you visit a non-network provider your share of the costs will be higher. No referrals are needed, but you may need prior authorization from your regional contractor for some types of services.
The current premiums are:
- Member Only: $42.83 (changing to $44.17 Jan. 1, 2020)
- Member plus Family: $218.01 (changing to $228.27 Jan. 1, 2020)
The premiums change every year on January 1. Your initial premiums can be paid by check, money order, or credit/debit card. After that you need to set up a recurring electronic funds transfer from your bank or a recurring payment on your credit/debit card. If you stop paying your benefits will terminate the month after your last payment is received.